DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Random disconnect solution thread

Hi!

The results are in!

My Sunday game was held using the rollback to version 2.7.2. The result was flawless performance. NO RANDOM DISCONNECTS or any kind. This verifies that this version has no random disconnect issues related with this version.

My Monday game was held using the latest version 2.7.5. The result was also NO RANDOM DISCONNECTS of any kind. This also verifies that the issue of random disconnects does not occur in this version.

Conclusion: Since I ran both versions and the behavior did NOT ensue and the only changes I made were to router configuration; I can only conclude that the behavior of random disconnects is due to ROUTER issues and has nothing to do with the fantasy grounds versions.

In the next post I will explain exactly what changes I made to eliminate the behavior.

Primarch

Hi!

What follows is my best attempt to explain what changes in configurations I performed to eliminate the random disconnect issue. Note while I have a netgear router, most router have similar features, also the name and location may change. I will list them in the order of what think is the major cause to those that may contribute. I did all of the listed below to make sure the issue was solved.

1. Connection time out settings. If I had to choose from all the things I changed this is probably the prime culprit. If you have a netgear router, you may not see it because when you click the basic settings link a prompt on whether you use a login and password for the internet shows up. Since most do not use one, you click "no" and thus NEVER see the additional settings.

Click "yes" instead of "no" and you will see a connection timeout setting. The settings are varied but it seems most netgear routers default to a "dial on Demand" option and the time is 5 to 10. Meaning it times out after 5 (or whatever number is put there). If the number is too low as in the case of the default value there (5 in my case), this prompts the disconnects after a few minutes of idleness.

You can do one of two things. Increase the timeout value (you can add some enormous value, like 10080, a value some mentioned on the web to fix this problem) OR if you have an option for "NEVER DISCONNECTS" use that.

Apply your selected settings then selected "no" again for no use of login and password for internet connection and apply. This will not erase the settings you put when you selected "yes" before.

Regardless of you router, you need to check your connection timeout settings and make sure they are not too low a value or set it to "never disconnects".

While I think this was the main cause there are other things to do to ensure the problem is quashed.

2. IPv6 protocol. Unless you are one of the rare few whom have access to this through your IP, disable this. It is known to cause problems on netgear routers.

3. QoS setup. Disable this. It may cause issues.

4. Port Triggering. Disable this.

In you OS (Windows 7 in my case).

1. Enter the control panel and then the device manager. Right click on your network card and click power management. Unclick the "allow windows to power down this device". Its been mentioned that windows may power down you network connection after some minutes of idleness, thus causing disconnects.

2. Disable the IPv6 on you network card as you did on the router. This is down by going to the network and sharing center and clicking on change adapter settings. Select your network card and right click to bring up properties. Unlick Internet protocol version 6.

3. Disable QoS on your network. Follow the path in 2 above and you can disable QoS AND IPv6.

Finally I recommend to assign a static IP to you host machine. The procedure is listed on these forums. Or course double check you Port forwarding setting to make SURE the proper ports and protocols for those ports are assigned.

The listed actions are the ones I used and have proved thier efficacy in two separate games using two separate versions of FG and the disconnect problem has solved.

I can field any more directed questions.

Primarch
    Last edited by primarch; March 8th, 2011 at 04:24.

Thanks, Primarch, for the clear and thorough explanation (and glad you got your problem solved)!!! A few of your notes (QoS and Static IP) have been mentioned elsewhere (QoS *definitely* causes problems), but I've never seen as complete a list of router issues and resolutions.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by gmkieran
    Thanks, Primarch, for the clear and thorough explanation (and glad you got your problem solved)!!! A few of your notes (QoS and Static IP) have been mentioned elsewhere (QoS *definitely* causes problems), but I've never seen as complete a list of router issues and resolutions.

Cheers!
    Hi!

Thanks!

What I have learned is that routers, by default, seem to be setup to provide good connections to the internet for the computers on the users network, but they are rarely by default "port forwarding" friendly.

It pays to spend a little time and learn the ins and outs or your particular router, since even one "box" checked or unchecked may be the difference between smooth sailing and pulling your hair out.

I hope others can resolve their issues with this information as well.

Primarch

Blog Entries
    Great job! Thanks, Primarch!

Devs, how about you make this one a sticky?

~P

Blog Entries
    stickied. Glad you stuck with it Primarch.

Hello there,

I have a question. I followed all the procedures listed in this topic, but my players can´t help but ramdomly disconect all the time. This configurations are for the Game Holt only, or they have to do the same procedure on the clients computers as well? Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Luzzi
    Hello there,

I have a question. I followed all the procedures listed in this topic, but my players can´t help but ramdomly disconect all the time. This configurations are for the Game Holt only, or they have to do the same procedure on the clients computers as well? Thanks in advance.
    Hi!

While these procedures affect mostly the host, they do not hurt to do on each of the clients.

On clients I'd pay particular attention to each clients router timeout settings and well as network card power management settings.

In my groups I had everyone do the same procedures.

Try it out and let me know.

Peter

Also, we had another user that had random disconnect issues, and the issue turned out to be that his host machine was connected via both a wired and a wireless card at the same time. Disabling the wireless card solved the issue.

Regards,
    JPG

Hey Primarch, savage

I followed all the procedures on clients routers, and it all worked out just fine, no disconnection during a 4:00 hours game session! Nice! It´s being so much better to play FG2 without disconnecting!

Thanks for your help!

Thread Information