STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

MERP/Rolemaster Books and Conversions

I have almost every book scanned onto PDF and in print. I am an old timer RPG collector. (Well not that old really) I am missing Kin-Strife and Arnor: The People. If anyone has these in PDF I would be in their debt and I offer an exchange in such a case.

Rolemaster: I am missing Oriental Companion and A 10 Foot pole.

I am looking into how to use some of my PDF modules and import them into FGII. (I'm guessing thats what everyone is probably doing) I think the Rolemaster system is very heavy in its application which can dreadfully slow down the game. (Again I am only speculating here!) I'm guessing it will be a major task to convert Rolemaster to another system. If it could be done though, what opinions are out there as to which system out of Savage Worlds or OGL (3.5?) would be the easiest to attempt? Has anyone done it yet? (I know this is many questions for one post)

I'd suggest BRP, conversion there is pretty straightforward.

- Obe
    For your Ars Magica needs :
    https://fgrepository.com

Atque in perpetuum frater, Ave atque vale.

Eek! I am not familiar with BRP, I do not know what that is.

You really should buy the PDFs from ICE

The PDFs are available for purchase, you really should purchase them rather than pirate them.

The books I am after are out of print. Have been for many years and are difficult to find. The books I have in print I have purchased from many different sources but I know what you are saying. If i could get them by purchase I would do it.

Strange I bought them from ICE 2 months ago and the Guild companion is in the process of resetting them now so no they are not out of print.

I think Bishop is talking about the MERP line from ICE, not the Rolemaster rules (in all their various incarnations) ...

Yes Stuart I was, apologies for not being more clear RKB. I was referring of the originals.

What has happened is that my face to face gaming group has ended after more then 12 years. (Mainly Rolemaster/Spacemaster/MERP) Our main GM has had to move out of state for his job. I was the secondary GM but a couple other players have decided to do other things. Now, I have this collection of games and an interest into GMing and no players. I'm not super code smart but I'm not exactly pc prude either I guess you could say. I good friend of mine pointed me here and I really like the software and interface and I am willing to take time and learn how to build my own modules. After looking at the free, "Well Met in Kith'takharos" module that came for free I really think there is something worthwhile here. It's not the same as being face to face but its pretty darn close. Ok, I'm, rambling ack!

Anyway I like the speed and efficiency of Savage Worlds actually better then Rolemaster's clunky system but I love the crit tables, background and stories of MERP. A full on conversion will be difficult and very time consuming I would wager. In fact even just creating modules in Rolemaster format will be pretty difficult but I wish to try doing both to see which seems better to do.
    Last edited by BishopOmega; February 9th, 2011 at 11:57.

Quote Originally Posted by BishopOmega
    Yes Stuart I was, apologies for not being more clear RKB. I was referring of the originals.
    I understand you were speaking of the originals. I guess most people don;t know that publication of Rolemaster 2nd materials has passed to The Guild Companion. They are resetting books and publishing them in PDF form. So far I know that:
    RM2nd -
    1002 Rolemaster Character Records
    1100 Arms Law and Claw Law
    1200 Spell Law
    1300 Character and Campaign Law
    1400 Creatures and Treasures
    1410 Creatures and Treasures II
    1430 Creatures and Treasures III
    1540 Oriental Companion

Have all had their originals released as PDFs by ICE

Also TGC has reset
    1600 Rolemaster Companion 1

And is working on the others

5703 ...And a 10 foot pole was 3rd Ed (RMSS)
    but was also put in PDF from ICE along with 5705 10 million ways to die and 5542 Castles & Ruins.

I know this because I have been replacing my old worn out copies (I have literally everything except grey worlds fan stuff and some things I have lost from Joel Blair) that was ever published for RM2nd and MERP.

Heck I am even in the process of resetting all of RM2nd for personal use since I prefer paper to PDF and ICE's license allows for that. (mmmmm leather bound RM2nd mmmmm)

Grey Worlds will never be republished either.
    As for Joel Blair... Well He dropped off the planet a few years ago. If anyone happens to come across this thread and knows where he is, let me know Bubba and I are both looking for him. (he knows who Bubba is).

Lastly: ICE has decided that FGII is not going to be its platform for VTT unfortunately. They decided to go with Scenegrinder

As for the 2 Merp items you are missing PM me your email addy and I will send you copies of those. Those licenses will never be renewed (Damn you Christopher Tolkien and your greed and screwing over ICE).

I have all the MERP products. As for conversion, that is quite difficult. I have been wanting to run a ME campaign for some time, but the FGII ruleset is missing things to make it easier. I don't think any of the other systems allow for a good conversion, but I would go with 3.5 or 4ed since there is more functionality in the toolset with those conversions.

Thread Information