5E Product Walkthrough Playlist

View Poll Results: Rulesets you would like to see adventures/accessories converted for?

Voters
162. You may not vote on this poll
  • BRP/Runequest/d100

20 12.35%
  • Castles & Crusades

16 9.88%
  • Call of Cthulhu

25 15.43%
  • D20/3.5e

58 35.80%
  • Rolemaster Classic

20 12.35%
  • Savage Worlds

30 18.52%
  • Traveller

29 17.90%
  • Other

49 30.25%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 5 First 12345 Last
    I haven't voted. Not because of apathy, but due to the fact that I don't need adventures or supplemental material.

When I first started, I bought Castles & Crusades adventures because I didn't know how difficult it would be to make my own modules and it seemed convenient.

What I found in practice is that the person doing the conversion has to make a lot of decisions that I might not choose to make. If I then want to make changes to the module, it's not entirely clear to me how to do that.

In the end, I've found it much easier to buy the pdfs and create the material in FGII myself. This is what I've done with Monte Cook's Dungeon-A-Day stuff and it's been fantastic. If I had bought a packaged product, our campaign wouldn't be half as good as it is.

What I would and will buy and support are well-designed rulesets. C&C is an older ruleset that does most of what I need. If/when the D&D B/X ruleset is finished, I'd be happy to pay for/contribute to its development. Similarly, I might do the same for the upcoming Goodman Games RPG. This is work that I can't easily/comfortably do myself. I can find the money, but I can't necessarily develop the skill overnight.

R
    I enjoy running Castles & Crusades. Current campaign(s) on hiatus.
    Willing to run one-shots for players who want to learn the ruleset. Feel free to contact me.

On the point about module customization. I have to agree. I don't think I have bought any module for any system and ran it 'As is' I always change it in some way, merge it with other material or adapt it to fit the needs of my group.
    It means you get the best of the published stuff but it runs the way you like it.

With regard to customizing already published (adventure) modules for FG then this is the procedure I use
    (I suppose it could be ruleset specific, but I've only used it with C&C so far so I don't know)

1. take the mod file and change the extension to zip and extract the contents.
    2. start up FG and create a new campaign
    3. when FG starts close it again.
    4. Go to the newly created campaign folder and copy the extracted db.xml file to it (copying over the blank one FG just created)
    5.a if the module has images and they are just lying around loose then open the db.xml file (I use notepad++, but any text editor should work) use the search and replace function to find and replace all <bitmap> tags with <bitmap>images/
    5.b if the module has images but they are in a separate folder then open db.xml and use the search and replace function to find and replace all <bitmap>THE_FOLDERS_NAME/ tags with <bitmap>images/
    6. drop all the images into the images folder.

now restart FG and load up the campaign. Unless there are any strange non-standard features, the campaign should now look like the module and you can edit it/customize it as you want.
    either leaving it as a campaign or reexporting it afterwards as a new module.

[note once you have exchanged the db.xml files do not restart FG until after you have sorted out the images otherwise FG will not find the images and will delete the references to them when you close FG ]

Quote Originally Posted by wavecutter
    I voted other because I'd like to see 7th ed. Gamma World.
    I second this!

If I could delete this post I would. As I can't I am now just ignoring "Other"

97.23% of those that voted "Other" have not read the original post.

Previously: MurghBpurn

Pathfinder!!!!!!!!!!! Never take no for an answer (at least the first two times).

Sorry folks seem to be posting rulesets they'd like to see, rather than the asked for accessories and/or adventures. I voted d20/3.x myself. I've worked at converting some adventures, and I find myself working a LOT on the same things: Maps and Tokens. Tokens aren't too bad to create, provided I can find a style of image I like (almost top-down, but not quite). I have actually taken to capturing screenshots from Neverwinter Nights crpg, and Photoshopping them in to tokens.
    Maps, though, are causing me problems. What seems like it should be simple ends up being anything but, as I sift through tutorials on brushes, textures, etc, trying to replicate maps from adventures like "Cormyr: The Tearing of the Weave".
    Okay, sorry if I'm getting off the rails myself here. My vote is d20/3.5, and I'd love to see material for Cormyr, the Tearing of the Weave, and the next two adventures in that series.
    Thanks!
    -JFK
    ps Is there a link to the 'approved for conversion' pdf files, or is that not what you're referring to in the first post?

Quote Originally Posted by JFK
    ps Is there a link to the 'approved for conversion' pdf files, or is that not what you're referring to in the first post?
    This thread is the best one, although it appears to be a bit out of date.

Previously: MurghBpurn

Quote Originally Posted by MurghBpurn
    If I could delete this post I would. As I can't I am now just ignoring "Other"

97.23% of those that voted "Other" have not read the original post.
    I would like to see Pathfinder aventures and modules. That requires a Pathfinder ruleset. What didn't I understand?

I voted others for GURPS.
    "We adore chaos because we love to produce order."
    M.C. Escher

"Let's face it: for some people, roleplaying is a serious challenge, a life-or-death struggle."
    J. M. Caparula / Scott Haring

"It emerges that physics is basic but inessential; that is the crucial fact."
    Wolfgang Smith

+1 others for GURPS
    Timezone: Australian EST (GMT +10).
    Systems/Rulesets: GURPS 4th Edition.
    Campaigns (Ultimate License Holder)
    GURPS Traveller - The Empty Peace
    GURPS Shadowrun - Power Plays
    GURPS Banestorm - Dark Clouds Rising

Thread Information