5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 10 of 10 First ... 8910
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackfoot View Post
    Oh.. Doug.. here's a thought. What if you added a link field to the calendar entry.. for linking to forum game discussion threads (or whatever the game used for discussion whether it was Obsidian Portal, EpicWords or whatever...) If the interface between the Forums and the Calendar were a little simpler somehow.. might that help?
    +1 That is a great idea. I also like Blackfoots idea in next post to add "one-Shot" box.

It seems that there is a common story, with either being new to FG or in an odd timeslot, that the calendar (if it were more effective) would help and likely draw more people to FG (and purchase licenses).

Taking it a step further, how about in program interaction to the calendar and campaign entry!!! How cool would it be to be able to auto-log who showed up, when the last time the game actually ran (could find abandon games easier in search), maybe even an interface to schedule the next session while you still have everyone in FG and are talking about it at end of session. Lots of crazy awesome stuff could be possible. Heck, once the devs add the hooks, the mod community may do the rest.

In summary, there needs to be a way to find games when you are not a FG veteran with loads of FG friends or long-standing campaigns. Also, easier one-shot scheduling could get people hooked on FG or just a new system.

BTW - glad to see the conversation picking up!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andraax View Post
    You need to follow up an "apply" on the calendar with a PM to the GM - the calendar does not automatically notify the GM.
    I may be wrong but I think Gruber is referencing all the 'active' games listed in the calendar that never started or were quickly abandoned that are still set up as open for accepting new applicants. I know personally I have seen some listed there for well over a year since the last activity with 30 players. IMHO, these old entries are cluttering things up, and likely confusing new players, who think these are active games. Sure a player will eventually figure it out that they are not going to hear back from the GM but that just disenfranchises them right off the bat and gets them thinking then just need to move on to another VTT.

Personally, I have never used the calendar as a recruiting tool but itself but only as place to point players I have recruited or contacted via the forums here or outside sources (Facebook, etc) and only then to use it for posting session date/times once I have finished, or almost finished that recruiting. I am sure everyone has their own system that works bets for them as a GM, so there is probably no silver bullet to this issue.
    FG:Unity Ultimate License Holder: Meaning anyone can join my games, even those with just the Demo . . .
    Timezone: UTC-6/CST (My 'Current' Local Time)
    Currently Running: An Old-School Essentials campaign, set in Hârn . . . Here is the discord channel -> Hârnic OSE.
    Current Design Project: Developing a stand-alone "Hârnic 5e" setting for OSE and Fifth Edition . . .

Quote Originally Posted by GunnarGreybeard View Post
    I may be wrong but I think Gruber is referencing all the 'active' games listed in the calendar that never started or were quickly abandoned that are still set up as open for accepting new applicants. I know personally I have seen some listed there for well over a year since the last activity with 30 players. IMHO, these old entries are cluttering things up, and likely confusing new players, who think these are active games. Sure a player will eventually figure it out that they are not going to hear back from the GM but that just disenfranchises them right off the bat and gets them thinking then just need to move on to another VTT.
    Good point. That's why I would like to see a little integration between client and calendar. It would be easy to filter out stale campaigns when you could REALLY tell when the campaign was last played.

I personally keep my campaign entry up to date with the next 3 sessions consistently scheduled. That would be so much easier if I could have set a regular schedule reoccurrence setting, then just mark the few sessions that we can't do as "canceled this week" when something comes up. Make it easy to use the calendar, but also easy to filter orphaned campaigns, then the calendar becomes a useful recruiting tool.

Blog Entries
    There is a daily event that is supposed to automatically flag those as private if they are older than 6 months with no activity or updates. It looks like it didn't run, so I'm going to reset the scheduler and check back tomorrow.

I see a new "Scheduled Days" appears on the campaigns, but it looks editable by even the players. This is a good start, but there also needs to be a frequency entry (once, weekly, biweekly, monthly) and a "regular time" with time zone. Maybe even a button for the GM that says "schedule next session"

Also, recommended by someone earlier, there should be a place to link to the forum entry for the campaign since that still seems to be an important piece.

Lastly, being able to sort the calendar view list by Timezone might help people find a game in their schedule.
    Last edited by AlohaJerry; October 31st, 2017 at 21:37.

Thread Information